Spammers - take note

Just a quick note to spammers - you are wasting your time leaving your spam comments here. All comments on this blog are moderated prior to publication, and all spam comments are reported then deleted. Strange Days does not provide free advertising space.

01 February, 2008

I saw a flying triangle!

Around 18.15 on February 1st, 2008, I looked up at the night sky, as I ambled down the garden path, a bag of groceries in each hand. It was dark, and I love to watch the sky at that time of the evening, as there are so many stars visible, even with the light pollution from the nearby city centre.

Suddenly, movement caught my eye. A black, triangular shape, about the size of a large guitar pick held at arm's length, approached from the west, in total silence. I almost dropped my groceries, I was so amazed. All I could do was say 'oh my', followed by 'oh no, my camera's in the house'. Had I not been laden with shopping, I would have probably waved at the thing.

Awe outweighed fear, as this archetypal machine from UFO literature sped across the sky, flying with its blunt end forward. I could barely believe what I was seeing, as the dark, triangular shape, lit at each corner with an orange-white light, zipped overhead, its central red light flickering on and off. Some neighbours in a nearby garden also saw it - and immediately ran for the shelter of their home. I remained rooted to the spot, not too scared, as it had passed me by with none of the weirdness often reported by UFO witnesses. It didn't stop, zoom towards me, shine a light at me, or paralyse me with a laser beam. It simply carried on its way. I can't say I was too disappointed! Then, moments after it flew over my head, and just after the neighbours fled, a familiar sound suddenly reached my ears - the sound of a jet engine. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. It seemed my flying triangle UFO was suddenly very much an IFO.

I made my way indoors, laughing at myself, mentally saying, 'you silly bugger. You've been reading too much UFO literature. It was a plane. Mystery solved'. That thought still didn't stop me heading for my living room window, with its panoramic view, to see if I could spot it again. But it had gone. The only lights in the sky were the stars and a couple of passenger jets.

Three days later, this sighting has started to bug me. Why? When I heard a regular passenger jet, I assumed the triangular thing was emitting the sound. What if it wasn't? There were jets in the sky when I looked out of my window a minute or two after the triangle flew off. I've seen airliners flying overhead several times a day and night, since I was a child. I've often sat out on my back step, or on my windowsill, looking at the sky, and have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of airliners flying overhead. None of them looked like the archetypal FT. This thing was just that.

Although night had fallen, I live about 1km from the city centre, so there is a lot of light pollution. Thanks to this light pollution, I could clearly see a triangular object. I made sure to look really hard at it, just to be certain my mind wasn't painting in straight lines between the three outer points of light. I saw a flying triangle. That doesn't make it an alien spacecraft piloted by bug-eyed little grey critters from Zeta Reticuli. It just means I saw something I've never seen before, except in UFO literature.

As for the jet engine sound - it may well have emanated from the craft I saw, although it had passed overhead by a good distance, before I heard the sound. That's not unusual in itself. But there were other aircraft around. What if I heard one of them, and the FT didn't make that noise? Does anyone know of any kind of jet, civilian or military that has a triangular shape, or which could appear triangular at night? Did anyone else see this thing over South Wales, or south-west England on February 1st? I've considered that it may have been a Stealth bomber, but the fact that the thing was flying blunt edge forward, suggests otherwise.

I don't think what I saw was in any way extra-terrestrial or paranormal. I'm simply intrigued, because whatever this craft was, it could well be the source of recent reports of flying triangles or the 'flying Dorito' in the UK. My bet is on it being something military. I just wish I knew what caused the jet sound - the triangle or the other aircraft? Whatever it was, it scared my neighbours, and has certainly given me something to think about.

9 comments:

Lesley 5 February 2008 at 02:37

You are soooooooo lucky! Although I have seen various UFOs, never the black triangle and I would love to.

Sam 5 February 2008 at 13:46

Interesting. Most black triangle sightings have the craft flying pointed area first. I don't think you saw an earthly conventional craft. I, too, would love to see a triangle.

Siani 6 February 2008 at 10:46

I'm still slightly in shock. I could barely believe my eyes when I saw it. When I first saw it approaching, I remember thinking, that looks for all the world like a black triangle. As it grew closer, I expected it to assume the typical shape of an aircraft. But when I saw it was a perfect equilateral triangle, with the same light configuration that I've heard described so often, I was completely and utterly dumbfounded. It's one of the strangest sensations I've ever felt. Even though I was seeing it, I just kept thinking, 'nah, that's not there'. I keep thinking, I should have been scared. But I wasn't. Just very surprised. Had it been closer, or made an approach, I think fear would have definitely set in, and I would have ran indoors, as my neighbors did. That said, I'm still 99% certain it was military.

Aileni 6 February 2008 at 22:17

I believe there is work afoot on the triangle shape as a stealth aircraft. I can't remember where I read it.
A.

cindy pegues 10 February 2008 at 18:56

I HAVE ALSO SEEN THE BLACK TRIANGULAR SHAPED CRAFT...A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I GOT A PHONE CALL FROM A FRIEND OF MINE WHO ASKED ME IF I COULD SEE ANYTHING UP IN THE SOUTHWEST SKY. IT WAS AFTER MIDNIGHT AND THE SKY WAS CLEAR. I COULD SEE A VERY BRIGHT LIGHT THAT APPEARED TO BE CHANGING COLORS BUT IT WAS KIND OF FAR AWAY. MY FRIEND SAID SHE COULD SEE THE OBJECT CLEARLY. IT WAS TRIANGULAR SHAPED AND SHE WAS A BIT DISTURBED BY THE SIGHTING. SHE LIVES OUT IN THE COUNTRY WHERE CITY ILLUMINATION IS NOT A PROBLEM. I GOT IN MY CAR AND PROCEEDED TO DRIVE TO HER HOUSE ABOUT 30 MILES AWAY KEEPING THE OBJECT IN VIEW THE WHOLE WAY. AT ONE POINT I WAS DIRECTLY UNDER THIS OBJECT AND COULD CLEARLY MAKE OUT THE BLACK TRIANGLULAR SHAPE WITH COLOR CHANGING LIGHTS SORT OF STROBING. THERE WAS NO SOUND BUT I COULD SEE WAVY EMMISSIONS KIND OF LIKE HEAT WAVES COMING FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CRAFT. I COULD FEEL A LOT OF ELECTRICITY IN THE AIR-MY HAIR WAS SORT OF STANDING ON END AND I HAD A METALIC TASTE IN MY MOUTH AND NOSE AND THE AIR AROUND ME SEEMED TO BE KIND OF CRACKLING AND SHARP. HARD TO EXPLAIN. I DROVE ON TO MY FRIENDS HOUSE WHERE SHE AND HER HUSBAND WERE STILL WATCHING THIS OBJECT KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH ME BY CELL PHONE IS CASE SOMETHING HAPPEND. WE WATCHED THIS OBJECT FOR ANOTHER 2 HOURS BEFORE IT"ZIPPED" OFF IN A 45 DEGREE ANGLE TOWARD THE SKY. THE NEXT DAY I CALLED THE RADIO AND TV STATIONS BUT NO ONE ELSE HAD REPORTED ANYTHING UNUSUAL. I EVEN DOCUMENTED THIS SIGHTING WITH UFO CASEBOOK OR MUFON(CANT REMEMBER NOW WHICH). I LIVE IN WEST TEXAS WHERE THE SKIES ARE WIDE AND CLEAR AND HAVE SEEN MANY UNEXPLAINABLE THINGS BUT THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST. I DO NOT BELIEVE IT WAS MILITARY, NOR A WEATHER BALLOON, OR VENUS OR A COMET. IT WAS VERY EERIE BUT I FEEL THAT SIGHTINGS LIKE THIS SHOULD BE OPEN AND UN-EDITED AND NOT COVERED UP.

Siani 10 February 2008 at 20:17

Cindy - thanks for the information regarding your sighting. If the triangle I saw had come any closer - I would have fled indoors - I'm not especially brave when confronted with things I can't identify.

I had the strangest feeling when I saw it. Initially, I looked and thought, 'oh, a flying triangle', as casually as someone would say 'oh, a helicopter'. But a split second later, I went 'whaaaaat?'. Then, I remember saying out loud, 'no, it can't be', and I expected it to lose its triangular shape, as it drew nearer. But it didn't. It felt a bit unreal - surreal, even.

I've seen a few odd aerial objects - no discs or saucers, though. People keep telling me that the triangles usually fly point forward. Yet the thing I saw flew blunt edge on, which gave the whole sighting a very eerie aspect. I can't estimate a size or height - but it seemed pretty high, although not as high as a passenger jet would be. I don't think this was one of the huge triangles that have been reported by many people.

Aura 20 February 2008 at 20:11

Lucky you! Nice site btw :)

Ryan 15 March 2008 at 00:48

Hey there. My girlfriend and I saw one of these last August. I've put up a website and begun mapping FT sightings, using the google maps API. With your permission, I'd like to add your sighting? Please let me know if this is cool - ryan@whataretheflyingtriangles.org.

Thanks and congrats on the sighting.

Ryan

Chris 20 December 2008 at 09:26

I saw a flying triangle in El Dorado Hills, California about 7 years ago. I had seen it a few times, the first couple times I drove past it on the highway and just though, "what the hell is that thing?" Then finally I was basically annoyed at this strange thing that liked to hover by the highway and I pulled off the road. It was around midnight and I just stared at it by my car. It was a triangular wedge, not as big as the ones I've read about, maybe 100 ft point to point. It had white lights at each point and simply hovered low over a hill right by the highway. After a few minutes of thinking, "am I really actually, honestly seeing this?" I felt it look at me. It didn't move, but I could feel an energy that felt like it suddenly noticed me next to my car gaping at it. A moment later it high tailed it through the sky without a whisper. It flew so fast that I said, "Oh my god!" out loud, jumped into my car and drove off shivering in the summer heat. I had goosebumps from head to toe and that was the last time I saw the flying black triangle. It was seriously a weird but incredible experience. Is it some secret military aircraft (it was sorta kinda near a military airport) or is it an alien craft?? whatever it is, it's remarkable.
Melissa